Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December 20: Beyond Avoidance

I'm participating in #reverb10, a month-long challenge to blog every day of December based on prompts provided here.

Prompt: Beyond Avoidance. What should you have done this year but didn’t because you were too scared, worried, unsure, busy or otherwise deterred from doing? (Bonus: Will you do it?) (Author: Jake Nickell)

I didn’t take a real dance class this year (the Latin Rhythms class at my gym didn’t count since it was a lite old lady version), but I’ve already vowed to do that this year. So that doesn’t count.

My answer is something that is more of a long-termish goal, and that is to take an extended trip around the world. This isn’t something that I could have done last year or will be able to do in 2011. But it’s something that, over the past few months, I have started to think more seriously about doing. And once Amy and I put that world map up on my wall, and my friend Kevin posted this link on Facebook, I got to thinking even harder.

It’s really something I should do before I “settle down” or whatever it's called these days. Could I take a six months or a year off of life? Absolutely.

So once I have enough money saved for my Australia/New Zealand trip, I am going to start saving up for this. Could take me some time. But I’m only 24. As long as I do it before I’m 30, I think I’ll be content.

No comments: