Wednesday, December 15, 2010

December 15: 5 Minutes

I'm participating in #reverb10, a month-long challenge to blog every day of December based on prompts provided here.

Prompt: 5 minutes. Imagine you will completely lose your memory of 2010 in five minutes. Set an alarm for five minutes and capture the things you most want to remember about 2010. (Author: Patti Digh) (I didn't understand this at first, but it means you are supposed to write for 5 minutes.

I will start by saying that this has been a really great year that completely fortified my decision to be in Chicago at this time and place in my life. I got a good job that paid me enough money to continue studying French, and even though I think about France all the time and how great it would be to be back there somedayish in the futurish, all the great experiences of this year are the reasons I should be here!

Where to start?

I automatically think to the summer, my favorite time of the year, where I went to a lot of music festivals. I’m not even that huge of a music person, but I love being outside among other hot and sweaty festival goers drinking and dancing and generally having a great time! This year topped all years for many reasons that I don’t have time to list in this short amount of time. But the festivals. Remember that they were great.

Remember that you met a lot of amazing people and solidified relationships with a lot others. Starting a book club helped (KKN I’m looking at you). So did getting out there and meeting people (hey D!). So did moving in with new roomies a few months ago (love you ladies and Maude!). The people of Chicago are what makes Chicago Chicago!

Also, you worked hard to try new things or more things of things you already liked this year, even if they were little things. Yoga, for example, which has really helped you focus a bit better and be a stronger person (kinda). You've been reading more, and although you could always read MORE than that, it’s been nice to get more books under your belt. And you worked to be a better writer, which is something that is a continuous and evolving process. But ever since you graduated, you have been angry at yourself for not writing more, but this year you cannot complain. You wrote a lot, and I expect to write more next year. Perhaps on this blog! Well, definitely here.

(ps why did I put in so many !!exclamation points!!)

No comments: