Tuesday, December 28, 2010

December 25: Photo

I'm participating in #reverb10, a month-long challenge to blog every day of December based on prompts provided here.

Sift through all the photos of you from the past year. Choose one that best captures you; either who you are, or who you strive to be. Find the shot of you that is worth a thousand words. Share the image, who shot it, where, and what it best reveals about you. (Author: Tracey Clark)

In my world, “Sift through all the photos of you from the past year” means “look at all the photos on Facebook in which you were tagged in over the past year.” So I did that. And what I was looking for is one that shows me as skinny as I want to be, as happy as I want to be, with as good of hair as I want and probably in a fun place with fun people so I have a good story to tell.

Of course that photo doesn’t exit. And it’s not because it couldn’t have. It’s because my friends and I never take any freaking pictures.

When I was in France, I took all kinds of pictures. Living in Paris is very exotic. I know people who were living in Korea, Berlin and Jordan over the past year. They took all kinds of pictures. Because they are living in far away countries and we all want to see what their lives are like.

But Chicago? We feel our lives are mundane, so we never take pictures. But that isn’t true! Chicago rocks. Why haven’t I taken any pictures of the parties we’ve had, the festivals and concerts we’ve been to, the family dinners we’ve cooked? I'm going to work on fixing that in 2011. Stay tuned.

But for the purpose of this prompt, I guess this is my favorite photo of me from the past year. It was taken by photographer Glitter Guts at a Gemini Club show at Metro a few months ago.

No comments: