Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Free Food Is Delicious Food

This morning, the wind chill was hovering around -8° F. I woke up at 4:35, willed myself out of bed, threw on four pairs of socks, three pants, five shirts (too many), double gloves, hat, balaclava, boots and helmet and biked the deserted streets of Chicago all in the name of 52 free breakfast sandwiches.

Einstein Brother's Bagels just opened a new location by my work, and I saw a promotion yesterday as I walked by: free breakfast for a year to the first 100 people in the door on December 14. On closer inspection, I saw that is was in fact 52 free breakfast sandwich vouchers. But that's still a lot of free breakfast. The only sucky part? Einstein's opens at 5:30 a.m.

Well. I like free stuff as much as the next person. In fact, I like it MORE. I am very serious about flying to Australia and New Zealand next fall or winter, and every penny towards that trip is gold. So that's why I was up at 4:35.

Since I was 3+ hours early for work, I swam a mile at the gym and filled my Amazon shopping cart with Christmas presents. It's still super early and I'm tired. But. At least I have 52 free breakfast sandwiches.

No comments: