This weekend, I was in the neighborhood of the American foods store. So I popped in to take in some familiar sites and smells from the homeland. That Betty Crocker cake mix looks so foreign in Paris.
I walked out with a box of €3.50 Kraft Mac & Cheese. Almost four times the price, but Sooooo good, and equally so bad (For those who don't know: it's a box of pasta with cheese-flavored powder. Cook pasta, add powder, butter and milk. Eat. And get fat, because that powder is extremely high in calories). This got me to thinking about what other foods I really miss from home, mostly unhealthy stuff. Here are some things I never eat here:
- Macaroni & Cheese
- Peanut butter M & Ms
- Junior mints
- Peanut butter that actually tastes good (Can be found in the foreign foods section of the grocery store, but doesn’t take quite right)
- Deep dish pizza (Chicago only)
- Italian beef sandwiches (Chicago only)
- Hot dogs smothered with delicious toppings, not ketchup of course (of the Chicago variety)
- Lakota coffee (Columbia only)
- Chicken wings
- Potato skins
- Chocolate soy milk
- Pie, any kind. cherry, blueberry, pumpkin preferably.
I'm sure there's more. I had to do some thinking to make this long of a list. Like I said, these foods just simply do not exist here, so I kind of forgot about most of them.
Also, for fun, I google imaged "american foods." Basically it's pictures of the worst possible everything you could eat.