Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Reverb10: One Last Month

The monthly Reverb10 prompt: If March 2011 was your last month to live, how would you live it?:

When I first saw this prompt, I immediately knew my answer. I would take the month to travel all across the world and see all the glorious countries I’ve never visited, sample yummy foreign foods and take artsy fartsy photos of it all. But then I began to think about how much it would suck to spend the last month of one’s life alone. I’ve traveled alone before, and it’s okay. Sometimes it’s just nice to do whatever you want at your own pace. But sometimes it’s really, really lonely. You run out of things to think about and write about and end up taking a bunch of naps to pass the time.

So if I had one month to live, I would still travel. But I would travel to places where my friends are, to say goodbye and tell them one last time how much I cared for them and how happy them being in my life made me. To New York, to Wisconsin, to Missouri, to Louisiana, to Texas, to California, to Washington. To France, to Germany, to Croatia. To Australia, to New Zealand. And I guess after I have given every last friend a hug, I’d be ready to go.

No comments: