Friday, August 07, 2009

Dear Neighbor,

As I write you this, your cell phone or landline phone or fax machine or WHATEVER is still ringing. Just as it has been for the past two weeks or more. Without. Stopping. Ever.

You must be on vacation. I really hope so, because that means you will eventually come back and turn it off. Seriously, neighbor, why in heaven's name would you leave for such an extended period of time and not unplug whatever this thing is that obnoxiously rings 24 hours a day? Why why why would you want a nice, respectful neighbor like me to suffer so much?

The ringing is so constant that sometimes I don't realize it's there. But other times, like when I am trying to sleep, I do notice. It is very unpleasant. Also, as I am sure you already well know, it is very hot here on the top floor of the apartment building. Perhaps the unbearable heat caused you to take a vacation. But I am not on vacation, and instead I open my window. Given the short distance between our apartments, that makes the ringing sound even louder.

I hope you are having a nice time and are enjoying your vacation. I am not enjoying your vacation. Please come back asap. Turn it off. Please.

2 comments:

Polly-Vous Francais said...

Gah, are you living in my old apartment? :)

I had an elderly neighbor 2 flights down who was hard of hearing and so had a phone with a ringer turned to a gazillion decibels. She sadly ended up in the hospital, and everyone who didn't know where she was kept calling 24/7... for 3 months.

And since I was the only American in the building, of course, I was the only one who kept my windows open all the time. A guaranteed recipe for insomnia!

I hope the ringing stops. Otherwise you can go to the pharmacie and ask for Boules Quies. Yikes.

betsyboo said...

Wow! I feel so humbled that you have read my blog and commented :-)

The ringing HAS stopped, as of this morning actually. He must have returned. I am so happy!