Friday, April 03, 2009

Père Lachaise at Last

Yesterday morning, I was impatiently tapping my foot and waiting for a late train when I heard this announcement: "Ladies and gentlemen. Due to a signaling problem, there will be no trains departing from this station before noon." I thought the train gods must have been smiling on me. Already at 8:00 a.m., it was shaping up to be a gorgeous day. And there was no way for me to get to work.

I had been waiting for a day such as this one to do a special something in particular. Now that I had a whole sunny day free to do what I pleased, I could finally go to Père Lachaise Cemetery. Pictures below:

Collection for the poor people of Paris. I have never seen one of these before.

Standard photo of tombs, just to give you an idea of what most of them look like.

Steps down into the crematorium.

My favorite crematorium plaque. All the rest were etched with fancy gold script, so this one really stood out.

Do you think those tombs are expensive? Nah, you can probably buy them at Target. Well France doesn't have Target, so Monoprix.

Oscar Wilde's resting place. Forgot my lipstick, so I didn't leave a kiss.

I crept inside someone's monument to take this one. I hope I didn't disturb any ghosts.

There were a few memorials for concentration camp victims. They really gave me the heeby jeebies.

I refuse to post a photo of Jim Morrison's tomb because I spent such a long time looking for it, and it was SO disappointing! If you are so inclined, you can take a virtual tour of the cemetery, and maybe you can see it yourself.

No comments: